One of Nice's most divine pleasures is wandering the outdoor markets along the Cours Saleya. Blooms of every color and shape burst to life. Row after row of spices beckon. There are grapes the size of golf balls and olives glimmering in the sun. Fresh fish are stacked in icy display cases.
Besides the vendors under tents, there are several shops, boutiques and cafes along the sides. Buy hats, tableware, tacky souvenirs or a cafe au lait.
The various markets feature something to appeal to nearly every taste: an antiques market, arts and crafts market, fish market, and even a used and antique book market and an antique postcard market. You can find a market do browse every single day (except holidays) when you visit Nice.
The most famous market area is the Cours Selaya, between Place Massena and Vieux Nice (Old Town). Bustling any day of the week, this one can't be missed. It serves as a flower and produce market every day but Mondays, when it becomes an antiques market. On summertime evenings, there is an arts and crafts market.
Here are the hours:
- Flower Market, Cours Saleya, runs 6 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, 6 a.m.-6:30 p.m. Wednesday and Saturday, and 6 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sundays and holidays.
- Fruit & Vegetable Market, Cours Saleya, runs 6 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. every day but Monday.
- Antiques Market, Cours Saleya, runs 7:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Mondays (unless they are holidays or the eve of holidays).
- Arts & Crafts Market, Cours Saleya, from Jume 1 to Sept. 30, every day from 6 p.m. to midnight.
- Fish Market, Place Saint-Francois, 6 a.m. to 1 p.m. every day but Monday.
- Used & Antique Book Market, Place du Palais, first and third Saturday of the month, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Arts & Crafts Market, Place de Palais, second Saturday of the month, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Antique Postcard Market, Place de Palais, fourth Saturday of the month, 8 a.m. to 6 p.m.
If that doesn't satisfy your desire for markets, here is a list of other markets that operate throughout Nice. Each operates every day but Monday from 6 a.m. to 1:30.
- Libération, haut Malausséna
- Ray, place Fontaine du Temple
- Saint-Roch, boulevard Virgile Barel
- Ariane, place de l'Ariane
- Pasteur, avenue Antonia-Augusta
- Cimiez, place du Commandant Jérôme
- St Augustin, bd Paul Montel
- Caucade, place de Caucade
Happy market-browsing. I wish you many great finds!